Sunday, May 27, 2012


PET CITY or when the heart tightens ...

When the doctor told me, rather awkwardly I must say, it was an aggressive breast cancer, he immediately explained that I needed to go rapidly go through a PET/ CT. Strangely under the circumstances, this word made me laugh. My first thought that I needed to go to the city of the gentle pets.

But that evening I found myself in a hospital room where I was injected a radioactive product. The purpose of PET / CT is to verify the presence or absence of metastases beyond the tumor itself.

I had to stay silent for half an hour and I could hear the conversations of the other patients in the adjoining room. Shlomit, a "Veteran", spoke of her experience with Regina a "newcomer" like myself. When I could go and sit with them, I saw four women: Shlomit, Regina and two Russian ladies who were not involved in the  conversation. Very quickly, I realized that PET CITY this is my first experience as a  cancéreuce, my baptism of cancer.

Shlomit asked me when I had learned. I told her that same morning. She spoke gently and quickly stood a beautiful complicity between us. Shlomit told us about her chemo, side effects, baldness ahead, optimism and above all the necessity  to put words on the fears that cancer generates. Then she talked about the healing process: the hair that grows back, the life that returns to normal, the forces that come back. She also discussed the importance of PET / CT routine she performs each year and that allowed her last year to discover a new small tumor, this time in the lung that was operated.

That's why I chose this name for this blog in which I will try to describe what happens in my life since that fateful moment where I learned I had cancer.

I'm not sure if it will describe the physical and emotional impressions or if it will be a verbatim of this obstacle course, mobilized to the maximum, with a single word as Mantra: HEALING!!!!!

Here is a picture of me last Thursday with my husband Denis and my two younger son Nadav and Aviv aged respectively 9 and 7 years just before leaving at the Hospital for the first chemotherapy. It is primarily for them and for both my elders kids  Lia, 16 ½ and Hillel 13 ½ years that I should heal quickly!


Thanks to PET/CT, I know there are no metastases and this is a wonderful piece of news.
48 hours after the first chemo treatment I feek Ok and hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment