Saturday, June 9, 2012

Van Gogh, Hitchcock and David Servan - Schreiber ..


Yesterday, we went for a walk with Denis as we decided to do daily already for two weeks. We are fortunate to live in a town where there are many fields around. On our way we pass through a recently harvested wheat field. Hundreds of birds nest in this field, especially crows and pigeons.
When the birds are busy feeding of grains left by the harvesters, the atmosphere is relaxed, just like in this painting by Vincent Van Gogh.


 Wheat Field with Cypresses

But in a moment, something can go wrong and the harmony is broken, the birds take flight in panic. I immediately thought of "The Birds" by Hitchcock. Suddenly tightness gripped my heart. There is something similar to this with  cancer. As long as the daily routine of the disease is smooth - oncologist visits, blood tests, chemotherapy and drugs – I feel secure and optimistic: I'm on the right track.
On Wednesday, the balance was undermined. My blood test results were not good. My White blood cells were too low for me to  get the second chemotherapy the next day. Immediately I felt the anxiety level rises. How can that be? After all, I feel great! My body can so deceive me? The mere thought of postpounding the treatment made me shudder. What? Let my nervous cancer raise its head? It is unthinkable! I spoke with Tammy the nurse of the  breast unit - a very charming lady - and she told me that sometimes there are surprises and I should come to  the hospital the next day as planned and repeat the test. Naturally I agreed and decided to go to a yoga class that evening. I came back home much more relaxed.
So I did a new blood test and then, bingo! What a relief! My white blood cells increased dramatically and I was given permission to receive the chemo! I jumped into the arms of my friend  Sigal that came to replace Denis had to give a lecture at a symposium. 
Denis returned by then and we met Susanna the nurse that will take care of my treatment from now on. She also is an excellent professional and reallu nice lady. The treatment went well and without pain at all.
Since then, I feel just great! Despite forecasts of severe side effects after the second treatment due to the cumulative effect, I feel good. What a relief! I was afraid the kids will be sad to see me completely worn out. Especially since they are so pleased with the changes that have taken place: I'm at home a lot,  I'm cheerful an d patient, we are playing a lot more.
This cancer urged me to modify my lifestyle. I work less and therefore the main cause of tension was significantly reduced. My wonderful team at work took on a lot of responsibility that I imposed to myself and I understand now that my managerial style was too centralistic. I changed my diet, I walk an hour walk every day, I do yoga and meditation three or four times a week. I read a lot.
In particular I benefit from greatly from "ANTICANCER everyday habits of mind and body health" by Dr. David Servan Schreiber. This book highlights how habits such as meditation, physical exercise and a healthy diet can improve the efficiency of conventional therapies in that they increase the Immune system's natural potential.

I highly recommend English to watch this video in which he explains the journey he made. Servan Schreiber talks a lot about the importance of family and friends to strengthen the sick person. In my case I feel surrounded by love. It's amazing how it makes me feel good to get emails and calls of many friends here and abroad!
I was so touched when my  friend Nicky sent me a link to a Google Docs where families and school community volunteered to prepare our Shabbat meals during the entire period of treatment! I cried with excitement! Yesterday, Sarital, Arbel, Marina and Karni cooked our week-end meals! Warm thanks to them!
A last update: My hair is still on my head! My sister Yvonne gave me a nice short haircut.


Wish you a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment